Saturday, April 19, 2014

Review: Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters


This is my 5 star review for Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters in honor of April being Autism Awareness month.
18240649
Kindle Edition, 295 pages
Published March 17th 2014 

 Bully and victim.
Tormenter and tormented.
Villain and hero.

Ellie Mccallum was a bully. No connection to anyone or anything. A sad and lonely existence for a young woman who had come to expect nothing more for herself. Her only happiness coming from making others miserable.

Particularly Freaky Flynn.

Flynn Hendrick lived a life completely disconnected even as he struggled to become something more than that boy with Asperger's. He was taunted and teased, bearing the brunt of systematic and calculated cruelty, ultimately culminating in a catastrophic turn of events that brought Ellie and Flynn’s worlds crashing down.

But then Flynn and Ellie grew up.

And moved on.

Until years later when their paths unexpectedly cross again and the bully and the freak are face to face once more.

When labels come to define you, finding yourself feels impossible. Particularly for two people disconnected from the world who inexplicably find a connection in each other.

And out of the wreckage of their tragic beginnings, an unlikely love story unfolds.

But a painful past doesn’t always want to let go. And old wounds are never truly healed…and sometimes the further you try to run from yourself the closer you come to who you really are.




Reclaiming the Sand is about the ongoing battle between Ellie McCallum and Flynn Hendrick. Ellie is a beautiful girl on the outside but on the inside she is so messed up she is almost rotten. She is a bully and she knows it. She has never felt loved and doesn’t even think she can love someone either. After she pays for her past mistakes she tries to make her life better. Will it be too late to make thing right? Will “Freaky” Flynn be her biggest regret and her sacred savior at the same time?
Flynn is a beautiful young man. He is gorgeous on the outside and ever more beautiful (to me) on the inside. He is special because he has to live his life and deal with living with a form of Autism called Asperger's. His life in Wellston, West Virginia, is not easy. He is bullied by Ellie and her crew so bad but he never gives up on life. He keeps going back, even though he doesn’t understand just why they all treat him so badly. Will he be able to forgive Ellie for everything she done to him when they were in high school? Will he show Ellie that there is more to life than she has accepted?
I want to start off by saying that this was a very hard read for me personally, but let me explain that statement. You see, I am a mother to a wonderful little boy who also has Autism. Although my son has PDD and SPD instead of Asperger’s, it still made this book hit a little closer to home for me. I see so many things Flynn does that my son also struggles with. Reading everything that Flynn had to go through had me crying big ugly tears. I wanted to hurt everyone who hurt him. The bullying that is in this book is real, it is raw and in your face. What the bullies done to precious Flynn had my heart racing and breaking with every scene. There were a few times that I had to put my Kindle down, walk away for a few minutes, then come back and continue reading because I got so angry. I found it hard to sympathize with Ellie because I can’t believe she would do those things to another person. Wow, I think I will be thinking about this book for many days to come.  (This book is based out of West Virginia, and I too live in West Virginia.)
I went back and forth with myself before reading this book. I was so scared that the book wouldn’t be something I needed to read. Was it hard to read from a reader’s stand point, no, the writing was great and the story was everything we were promised it would be. However, being a mom to an autistic son, this story was hard to read because it killed me to read what people do to someone they know absolutely nothing about and someone who can’t always control what they say or do. I applaud Mrs. Walters for tackling such a hard topic. I have read most of your books and you never disappoint!





Displaying 1619332_10152662108643957_879942054_n.jpg
Andrew, my son, my heart, and my hero, this post is just for you little man. 
I want to let you know that I am so so honored to be your mommy. I wouldn't change that fact for anything in this world. You make me laugh, you help me smile, and you have the ability to brighten mommy's day with one little smile or an "I love you, mommy". There are so many things that I could say to you but they would never be enough. I have always had hope and will continue to hope for the best life for you. I do not want Autism to define you. You are so smart; I know you are going to do great things in life. Please don't ever let someone tell you differently. You can do anything your big heart desires. You are smart, funny, energetic, and you have a sparkle in your eye that I don't ever want to see dimmed. 

Andrew mommy will always strive to do what is best for you. I will always look out for you and will always be there for you when you need me. No matter where this life leads you always remember that you are just exactly that, YOU! You make your life what you want it to be, you make your dreams what you want them to be, and you live life to the fullest. I know it won’t be easy, but there is nothing you can’t overcome. I have so much faith in you, but just in case you are to ever fall, always remember that I will be there to pick you up, dust you off, and tell you that everything is all right.

I am so proud of you big boy. You really are the best little boy that any mommy or daddy could ever ask for, autism and all. Daddy and I love you so very much. Happy Autism Awareness Month Drew, never Ever give up! Prove everyone that has ever doubted you wrong, reach for the stars and we will be right behind you to help you along the way. 

I love you son!

Love, 
Mommy (aka Angela)

No comments:

Post a Comment